Amenorrhea (Ayurvedic Name- ‘Anartava’)
Amenorrhoea is defined as the absence of menstruation in a woman of reproductive age, for a period which is twice that of the normal menstrual cycle of a woman who has menstruated previously (called Secondary) or the non-appearance of menstruation in a girl who has reached the age of 16.
- Amenorrhoea is a normal (Physiological) occurrence in girls before Puberty (Menarche), during Pregnancy and Breastfeeding (Lactation) and following Menopause, it is considered as symptoms of functional and structured abnormality of Female Reproductive System.
-In General, it is regarded as abnormal by the age of 14 years in girls without other signs of secondary sexual development, or by the age of 16 in girls with normal secondary sexual characteristics.
- Amenorrhoea is not a Disease and it does not mean that a person is infertile, but it can a sign of health problem that need some attention
(Note – for the treatment of Amenorrhoea, many options available in Ayurveda while in modern medicine we have very few options like HRT which have certain limitation for its use and have side-effect.)
-Etiological Factor of Amenorrhoea…….
-Breast Feeding (Lactation)
-Extreme weight loss by some serious illness
-Eating Disorder (Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia, caused by the nutritional deficiency and deterioration of the body tissues)
-Excessive Exercise or Stress
-Hormonal Imbalance or Problems involving Pituitary, Thyroid, Ovary or Adrenal Gland
-Disorder or Problem in reproductive organs like Uterus, Ovaries, Fallopian Tubes and Vagina.
-Genetic condition like Turner Syndrome, Androgen insensitivity syndrome which leads to high-level Testosterone and Mullerian Defects (Malformation of Reproductive system)
Types of Amenorrhoea ......
- Amenorrhoea is Two types -
In Primary amenorrhoea, Menarche does not occur even the girl is over 16 Years. Primary Amenorrhoea associated with
Cryptomenorrhoea (Imperforate Hymen)
Congenital agencies of the uterovaginal canal or uterus, septate vagina indicate congenital obstructive lesions at the Genital tract.
Infertile Uterus indicates Sex Chromosomal abnormality (Turners Syndrome)
Cessation of menses appears above 6 months following normal menstruation, Associated with Anorexia, weight loss and extreme emaciation indicate Anorexia Nervosa, Infertility, Obesity, and Polycystic Ovarian Disease.
Common Symptoms of Amenorrhoea ……….
- Main Symptoms is lack of Menstruation
- Milky Nipple Discharge
- Vision Changed
- Addition Facial Hair
- Lack of Breast development (Especially in Primary Amenorrhoea)
Ayurvedic Concept with Management
In Ayurveda Scripture, Amenorrhoea known as ‘Anartava’, which literally means the absence of ‘Artava’ (Monthly cyclical Bleeding or Menstruation), Its a condition which is mentioned in ‘Stree Roga Chikitsa’(Female Related Disease), another name also there as ‘Nashta Artava’ i.e. ‘Nashta’ means ‘lost’, destroyed or missing’ while ‘Artava’ means Menstruation.
- According to the ‘Charaka Samhita’ (Classic of Ayurveda), Due to aggravation of ‘Vata Dosha’, Gynaecological disorder appears in women body, so the balance of ‘Vata-Dosha’ should be the first line of treatment in case of ‘Anaratava’
- Ayurveda believes the causes of Amenorrhoea related to the condition of ‘Dosha’, like Eating excessively cold, light and dry foods or taking cold or fizzy drinks increases the ‘Vata’ energy in the body. The regular consumption and excessive intake of food that generates gas during digestion aggravate ‘Vata’.
- In the female body, Lower Pelvis or the seat of ‘Apana Vata’(one type of Vata among 5 types) that is responsible for the elimination of menstrual blood, stool, urine, and reproductive fluids. Due to anxiety and stress ‘Apana Vata’ increases at the onset of menstruation. There are situations where aggravated ‘Vata’ causes accumulation of toxins in minute channels, which carry the menstrual blood and blockage of these channels causes Amenorrhea.
-In Ayur Healthcare - Ayurvedic Treatment in Sydney, Treatment depends on the unique detoxification program called ‘Ayurvedic Panchakarma treatment in Sydney’, Herbal Treatment, Medicated Oil Massage (Vata Pacifying Drugs) and Steam (Abhyanga, Swedana), and Vasti (Medicated Enema), Shiro-Dhara(Head Poring Medicated liquid, like ‘Jatamamsi’ and ‘Bramhi’ Vata pacifying drugs) and Diet and Lifestyle advice as per disease condition and patient constitution.
-Abhyanga in Sydney(Medicated Oil Massage like ‘Dhanwantaram Tailam’)
-Swedanam (Hot Fomentation),
-Vasti (Anuvasana Vasti or Uttar Vasti)
-Herbal Preparation like Aloe Vera Juice, Shatavari (the root of Asparagus racemosus), Vidari kand(Ipomoea digitate)
-Classical Ayurvedic formulation like Ashokarishta, Ashwagandharishtam, Kumaryasavam, Rajata Bhashma, and most important is Rajahpravarthini Vati, etc..
Diet and Lifestyle Advice by ‘Ayur Healthcare’
-Spicy and hot diet, which is astringent, acidic in nature, with garlic, onion, nuts, ginger, etc. Herbal teas are recommended.
-Spices like black pepper, cinnamon, coriander, cardamom, fennel, ginger, cumin, black pepper, fenugreek, clove, celery seed, salt, soya seed, and mustard seed can be used for garnishing the foods and should take it in the regular diet
-Milk and milk products are good but yogurt should be avoided, as it causes blockage of menstrual channels.
-Excessive use of fried foods, heavy creams and puddings increases ‘Kapha -Dosha’, so it should be avoided.
- Do not undertake physical or mental work beyond your capacity, Negative feelings like stress and tension should be avoided.
Keywords: Ayurvedic Treatment in Sydney, Panchakarma treatment in Sydney, Abhyanga in Sydney
By: gayathri n
Article Directory: http://www.articlecatalog.com
Copy and Paste Link Code:
Read other Articles from gayathri n:
Article ID 1096605 (Views 350)
Announcement from Our Sponsor
Cancer Drugs like Lenvima (generic version Lenvatinib), Imbruvica (generic version Ibrutinib) now have generic versions at tremendous savings. Brain boosting drugs like Provigil (generic version Modafinil) and Nuvigil (generic version Armodafinil) are also popular.